By: Pablo Contreras
I have seen this gelatin in every Mexican store I go to and I have always wanted to know how to make it, but I never knew the name of it until I searched for common Mexican desserts. And when I saw a video on how to make this, I decided to try this out, and it was definitely an interesting experience for me.
This recipe is not mine, I followed the recipe on YouTube by The Cake Fairy By Lina.
Now, before you start to make this I must warn you that it is a somewhat complicated recipe to make; you have to have a lot of patience and have to make sure the gelatin fully cools down before continuing to put everything together.
While making this, I must admit that I had a total of two failures, this was mostly because I was impatient and wanted to get this done as soon as possible.
Just make sure that the flavored gelatin is fully cooled down.
(Just a tip, make your flavored gelatin 2 days before so that it’s fully cooled down. I did this and it came out better.)
Now, let’s get into the recipe:
Gelatina de Mosaico
Here are your ingredients:
- Knox unflavored gelatin
- A can of condensed milk
- A can of evaporated milk
- Strawberry flavored gelatin
- Lime flavored gelatin
- Orange flavored gelatin
Just to let you all know, I did only make two different flavored gelatin instead of three. Three different flavors are more traditional, but I didn’t have other flavors other than orange and strawberry.
If you are going to use three flavors, just copy the steps again.
Now, first let’s make your flavored gelatin before anything else:
- Boil 1 and 1/2 cups of water, and once boiled then add the gelatin powder and wait for it to boil again. Then, turn off the stove and set aside to let the gelatin cool
- Once cooled down, get your molds to put in the gelatin; every gelatin flavor should be in separate containers
- Now, put the gelatin in the fridge for about 4 hours/wait until it’s in its gelatin texture
(4 hours is the recommended time for gelatin to fully cool down, but you can follow my tip and have done this two days before, and just do this now, and wait two days later)
Now, here are the steps on how to prepare the Unflavored Gelatin:
Knox unflavored gelatin:
- In a cup, pour 1/2 cup of water then add in four little packets of the unflavored gelatin and mix
- Now, set it aside for 10 minutes
- Now, in a pot, pour in 2 cups of milk, a can of condensed milk, a can of evaporated milk, and 1 tablespoon of vanilla extract
- Put it on the stove on low heat and stir
- Once the 10 minutes are up, grab the unflavored gelatin and put it in the microwave for 15 seconds
- Once the unflavored gelatin is slightly liquidy, add it to the pot and stir
- Stir the pot until it’s hot but not boiling (we don’t want it to boil)
- Once it’s hot, turn off the stove and set the pot aside
While waiting for the unflavored gelatin to cool, here’s how to prep your flavored gelatin:
- Take out your flavored gelatins from the fridge and use a knife to cut them into squares
- Once you cut them into squares, take them out of your mold with a spoon
- Take the squared gelatin out slowly and carefully
- In your bigger mold, where you’re going to put everything, use butter spray (only spray a little), then add in your squared jelly and put it in the fridge, so they remain cold while waiting for the unflavored gelatin in the pot to cool down
- Once the unflavored gelatin has cooled down, take out the bigger mold with the squared gelatin and add in the unflavored gelatin (make sure to cover the entire mold)
- Now, put it in the fridge, and let it cool down for a minimum of 8 hours, or until it’s fully in its gelatin texture/when everything is stuck together
I waited for about 16 hours because I wanted to make sure everything turned out ok, and it did, but you can do either 8 hours or 16; you just need to wait till the gelatin is fully all together.
Here are some pictures of the finished product:
This was truly a fun and patient waiting experience but in the end, it was delicious.
To learn more, go to the link at the bottom, but beware that the video is in Spanish.
The Cake Fairy By Lina- Como Preparar Gelatina De Mosaico-