By: Mushtaq Yonis
Sambusa is a fried snack that is eaten across the world. From India to Somalia you can find different versions of this delicious snack depending on the country. Sambusa is typically a stuffed triangular pastry that’s especially popular during Ramadan.
You can fill the sambusa however you like but I’m showing you one of the ways I like to make sambusas.
Making sambusas for a large number of people is quite time consuming so make sure you have these ingredients ready.
For the filing:
- 1 pound ground beef or lamb
- 2 tablespoons of oil
- 1 onion
- 1 green onion
- 1 green chili
- 2 teaspoon cumin powder
- 2 teaspoon cardamom powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
You would also need a paste to hold the shape of the sambusa and for the filling to not fall out.
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 1⁄4 cup water
For the wrapper:
You can use tortillas if you’re in a rush or you can buy sambusa wrappers.
But if you would like to make your own, you need:
- 3 cups of all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoon of oil
- 1 cup of water
Now that you have your ingredients, it’s time to assemble your sambusa!
- Cook the meat on medium heat with oil
- Add the onions and the green chilis
- Add spices
- Set the filling ingredients aside
- Mix the paste ingredients
- Take one sambusa wrapper and fold it into a cone and seal it with the paste (make sure to leave 1 side open)
- Fill the cone with the filling
- Seal the rest of the sambusa with the paste
- Add oil to your pan and fry the sambusas until a golden brown color
- Take the sambusa and set it down on a paper towel or plate
- Repeat the process!
And that is how you make Sambusas.
It’s best when it’s warm so make sure you eat it before it turns cold!