By: Grace Bumer-Lamotte
This was the 85th annual NFL Draft. The 2020 NFL Draft started on April 23rd and lasted through April 25th. The first round was held on April 23rd. Then on April 24th, the second and third rounds were held. Finally, on April 25th, rounds 4-7 were held and that concluded the NFL Draft for 2020.
Due to COVID-19, lots of safety regulations were taken, and the Draft was virtual. The Draft was originally supposed to take place in Paradise, Nevada but the safety regulations were mandatory.
The Draft was broadcasted on ABC, ESPN, NFL Network, ESPN Deportes, and ESPN Radio. NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell broadcasted the picks from his home in Bronxville, New York.
Many different college players were recruited from a numerous number of teams. According to Wikipedia, the final overall player selections were 39 Linebackers, 35 Wide receivers, 27 Cornerbacks, 21 Safeties, 20 Defensive tackles, 20 Offensive tackles, 18 Offensive guards, 18 Running backs, 17 Defensive ends, 13 Quarterbacks, 12 Tight ends, 9 Centers, 3 Placekickers, 2 Punters, and 1 Long snapper. All of that equals 255 players drafted.
According to 247Sports, the top picks in the 2020 NFL Draft were:
- Jedrick Wills; picked by the Cleveland Browns. Wills has a four-year contract with a total of $19,702,914. Baker Mayfield (quarterback for The Browns) needs more time and protection and they believe that Will’s could provide that.
- CJ Henderson was picked by the Jacksonville Jaguars. Henderson has a four-year contract with a total of $20,516,188. His position is a defensive back. During his college season as a freshman, he had a total of four interceptions, and then when he was a sophomore, he had another 2 interceptions.
- Isaiah Simmons was picked by the Arizona Cardinals. Simmons has a four-year contract with a total of $20,664,055. He could end up being one of the best Draft picks. He can play multiple positions and he is also one of the most athletic players in the NFL.
- Derrick Brown was picked by the Carolina Panthers. Brown has a four-year contract with a total of $23,621,405. He had an average of 3.1 sacks per season.
- Justin Herbert was picked by the Los Angeles Chargers. Herbert has a four-year contract with a total of $26,578,755. He was the third quarterback drafted.
- Tua Tagovailoa was drafted by the Miami Dolphins. Tagovailoa has a four-year contract with a total of $30,275,437. Tagovailoa does have past injuries that could come back.
- Andrew Thomas was picked by the New York Giants. Thomas has a four-year contract with a total of $32,345,588. Last year, the Giants drafted a quarterback and this year they drafted his protection.
- Jeff Okudah was picked by the Detroit Lions. Okudah has a four-year contract with a total of $33,528,522. He is one of the top-paid rookies in the league. He had three interceptions and 9 pass deflections this year.
- Chase Young was drafted by the Washington Redskins. Young has a four-year contract with a total of $34,563,595. He had 21 tackles and 16.5 sacks at Ohio State this past season.
- The top pick was Joe Burrow, drafted by the Cincinnati Bengals. Burrow has a four-year contract with a total of $36,190,137. Burrow was the number 1 pick in the draft as a quarterback. The Bengals now have a strong quarterback on their side.