Radon the silent killer

By: Haroon Yonis

Radon, it is something we cannot see, we cannot smell, and is something that we simply cannot detect with our 5 senses. Yet, it continues to kill thousands every year, and thousands continue to succumb to this silent killer. 

Radon isn’t as known as cigarettes or vapes, but it causes as much damage as the two. 

Radon is gas that can lurk from the depths from your home, your school, or anywhere you go. It is a carcinogenic gas that causes 21,000 lung cancer deaths a year.

The scariest part is that this odorless gas kills 2,900 non-smokers a year. Even if you avoid smoking, you can still be ravaged by this carcinogenic gas.

Radon usually kills people in two ways, either you can be affected by the radiation in radon, and develop lung cancer, or you can die from radon poisoning. One affected by radon poisoning usually exhibits the following symptoms: wheezing, chest pain, coughing blood, a persistent cough, and even weight loss.

Radon has been proved to be associated with cancer, specifically lung cancer. There have been many studies and much literature that validates the correlation between cancer and radon.

So, now that you understand the lethality of this gas, how do you avoid this dangerous and deadly gas?

Radon is found everywhere, but it has extremely low levels outside. It is typically found in much higher concentrations in buildings, such as schools, homes, and stores. The reason for this is that the radon becomes trapped in these buildings, slowly accumulating over time. This is especially true, in urban areas, such as higher populated cities. 

To avoid this gas, you must first find out if it is lurking in your home, or your workplace. You can buy a testing kit online, or have a professional come and test your home. The first option is relatively simple and cheap, while the latter is a bit more expensive but overall more reliable.

If you find out your house has low radon levels, there is nothing to worry about. But if your house has dangerous levels of radon, you must call a professional to purify your home from the gas. Anything higher than 4 pCi/L, is dangerous according to the EPA.

Make sure to test your home even if you suspect there aren’t high levels of radon in your home. It is always better to be safe than sorry.

For more information, please visit:

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s